Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Our Engrand


I was on my way to my office where the morning discussion of mix.fm caught my attention. The discussion was about the important of english.

Alright, let's try and talk about this in a constructive way. No racist remarks, no disloyal comments, totally objective. Can? Alright..

Bahasa Malaysia is OUR national language. We are all proud of it. We are, or should and must be, proficient in it. It is our unifying bond as a nation.

Bahasa Malaysia is NOT an international language. We NEED to be fluent in an international language if we are to really become participating citizens of this Global Village.

English is an international language. Malaysians must be fluent in English to compete globally.

It is NOT true that Malaysians are fluent in English.

It is NOT true that learning English will corrode our sovereignty, our loyalty, our Malaysian-ness our unity as a nation, our loyalty as Malaysians.

It is so NOT true that Malaysian children can become fluent in English if fed on a 45-minute per week diet of English lessons in schools.

Okay, I hope that I have established the parameters of this playing field.

No comments:

Post a Comment